Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

50 by AS 50

I had started the 50 in AS 50 challenge some time back, but haven't really done anything in recent months.  I made a few beads, but I am not a jeweler, so all the beads are just sitting in a box right now, waiting for the skill of a jeweler to help me through the next step of making a wearable piece.  I'd like to have a couple of strings to put on my broaches for my Viking garb, but I think I'd only wear them for fancy dress occasions--I know I'll snag them on EVERYTHING.  


I can, however, make lots of clothing.  I made this little tunic for Lottie Blacksmith (my 9 year old).  Don't adjust your screens, the sleeves are half-length so she will keep cooler and they'll be out of the way for working at Master Grendal's.  Brown is a good color for a blacksmith's dress, too...the blackness won't be nearly as noticeable.  The pink ones I made last year were pretty grubby after a weekend around the fire, but I anticipated that.  It's made from a simple woven fabric...a mystery blend.  It could be linen, or a linen blend, but it's fairly scratchy.  I'm hoping that it'll soften up after a few washings.  It's a simple rectangular construction with triangular gussets on the sides.  Due to lack of available material, this is as full as the dress could get.  It has a simple rounded neckline and no other embellishments.  It'll get its first life as a costume for a play (she's a villager for the play...I think it's the Pied Piper story), and it'll get more wear this summer at events.

I guess another one of the 50 would be this yurt...or this pile of sticks that will eventually be a yurt.  I still have about 600 holes to drill yet.  It's a work in progress, obviously.

I'll have to go through my list of projects that I started earlier and see how many I have actually finished since the challenge began.  The list to the right contains most of the items that qualify for this 50 in AS 50 challenge, but I think I'll add a bunch of photos to document my progress.  That'll be a later post, I think.

Elewys

No comments:

Post a Comment