Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Monday, November 28, 2011

More stuff!

Just a few more things I was working on...

A 25 card piece using An Tir and Aquaterra colors!  I hoped that it might represent the barony within the Kingdom, sort of surrounded by it, but yet woven firmly into it.  Since I'm not an experienced weaver, it was sort of an experiment that I thought wasn't working until I realized that I had the cards flipped the wrong way, so I was looking at the reverse side of the weaving on the top.  Then I decided that it was a success, although I hadn't thought about it at the time.

Here is the finished piece, which measures roughly 4 yards (based on my body measurement of fingertip to far shoulder, not some mundane tool lying around the house).  For this piece, I finished it by twisting the ends and knotting them to create a sort of fringe.  I like the effect and will have to do that for future pieces.

I used this pattern that I found on a web site owned by Camilla Whitney, aka the Evil Queen of Spades (EQOS).  I found this sheet on a Google image search for Card Weaving patterns.  The Baronial/Kingdom weave is the Andred pattern in the lower left.  There are a few other patterns on this page I'd like to try as well.  My next project may be Korba or Pilka, or maybe Vytine.  I love that these are mapped out, but there are several more that she has made that I would like to try, but not all her patterns are available.  I tried emailing her, but it seems the only way to comment is to sign up for the web site and I do not need any more subscriptions to anything.  I did sign up for SCA Card Weavers Yahoo group, however the email I sent does not appear to have gone through yet--and it was a couple days ago.

I'd love to try some period weaving, but I am having difficulty finding something that is easy enough for a beginner--most of the extant pieces and patterns are quite advanced, or at least have cards moving in opposite directions, which I don't know if I can master at this point.  I haven't seen all of it yet, of course, but I'm looking.  Luckily, I have my Emergency Back Up Laurel I can consult with.  I should probably do that.

Elewys

No comments:

Post a Comment