Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Monday, December 22, 2014

End of Year Goal Report Card

Just under 12 months ago, I made a list of challenges for 2014.  How'd I do this year?
  • Completing a Scholar Rank Costumer's Guild challenge.  Tudor woman and Viking man
    • Nope.  I gathered a few resources and made some plans, but didn't actually start any costuming projects this year except for a coif pattern for my head.  While this doesn't seem like much, it's something.  Grade:  C
  • Have the Aquaterra Costumer's Guild to fill in to promote and administer challenges, and maybe even host costumer gatherings at Kingdom events.  
    • Talked to them, but nothing was actually done.  It didn't help that the Costumer's Guild officer had a baby this year, so many things were put on the back burner.  Grade:  C
  • Build a loom based on a pattern I bought several years ago.  It doesn't have to be perfect, just usable.  I already have a rigid heddle meant to be used with this pattern...I just need the frame.
    • I looked at the plans, but didn't get any further than that.  I keep hoping that my husband will decide to make it for me.  Grade:  F
  • Sheep to shawl project.  
    • OK...I got a fleece, washed a bunch of it, and started spinning!  I got one spool done and then stalled on that project.  Grade:  B
  • Make cheese.  
    • Dear Husband got me a cheesemaking kit.  I opened it up and looked at the contents.  Grade:  D
  • Make rush lights.  
    • Maybe in 2015.  I will need to get some sheep fat (buy some lamb and extract the fact from the cooking process) and find some rushes.  I've seen them growing here and there, so just sourcing them may take a bit of time...maybe at one of the local parks with swampy waters nearby.  Grade:  F
  • Teach more.
    • I taught a couple of short classes through the A&S social meetings, and taught a couple classes at an Ithra in the Three Mountains area (which I didn't blog about, apparently).  Grade:  B
  • Prepare for a 12th Night display in the A&S room, and *maybe* a single entry in Kingdom A&S.  
    • I decided not to do a 12th Night entry this year.  The amount of time to prepare for such a venture was totally out of my ability to take on this year, and in July I found out that all the hotels were already sold out in the area.  It's rather remote and day-tripping from a friend's house is too far.  I will put it on the back burner for 2016.  Grade:  D
Overall, I'd say that I've gotten about a C this year for projects.  However, I did a lot of extra credit, including some beadmaking and tablet weaving, so I think I could easily say that my overall grade is higher--maybe a B+.  I'll take it.  :)

So what's on the docket for 2015?  Here are my newest goals, some of which are review from 2014:
  • Scholar Rank Viking Costume for men.  Maybe I'll use my middle kid as the recipient for the garb since my husband is not really interested in playing...even though the middle kid is a girl...she wants to do activities that require pants and shorter tunics.  
  • Loom building (box loom and rigid heddle loom)
  • Warp Weighted Loom--weave something!  I have it mostly warped up, but it needs weights and yarn for the weft.  I was considering buying a bunch of the Fisherman's Yarn and dyeing it with KoolAid, just for fun.
  • Sheep to Shawl progress 
  • Keep teaching.  I have a student who said, "I want to learn how to do everything you're doing."  I may not be the expert, but I'm happy to brain-dump.
  • Cheesemaking.  Start with the kit, then move on to other cheeses.
  • Dye with natural dyes - woad, sandalwood.  I have a big spool of linen threads around here that I can use to dye stuff with.  I'd love to grow the woad myself, but I guess it's illegal in this state. :(
  • Tablet weaving - Birka reproductions
  • Decorate yurt door with Turkish designs
  • Replace and repair and enhance old pieces from my wardrobe.
That's 10 things.  That aughta hold me for now...right?  Then I'll "ooo-shiny!" and start a project not on this list.  Like stained glass or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment