Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Costume Repairs & Plans

After attending May Crown a couple weeks ago, it came to my attention that a few of my garments needed some repairs and upgrades.  One shift needed a longer neckline--it was cutting me off at the throat.  One shift had a couple of seams that had popped--one on the arm and one in the armpit.  Then the apron dress...linen...gorgeous color...entirely sewn by hand...and the thread was not strong enough, so it snapped in a couple places.

After making all those repairs, I decided to beef up my 12th century outfit, just in case I have occasion to wear it in the near future.  I usually do something in the Viking sphere or something a little later period, like Flemish peasant.  Since we just finished the polling two days ago, and my coronet candidate partner is 12th century, I am trying to keep a positive attitude for the outcome and be prepared for the season.  I wanted us to dress in matching eras, although my garments might lean a little toward the 13th century instead of 12th.

I took the mustard-yellow gown that I made a couple years ago.  It had shrunk horribly in the wash, so what was a floor-length gown was suddenly...very short.  After a short debate, I decided to add gores to the front and back to add fullness.  Then I added 8" of brown fabric to the bottom...I may add some embroidery at some point, although that may be some time from now.

Here are a couple things that I want to aim for.  The overgown is a sideless surcoat that can cover up all manner of sins.  Especially a love for second helpings and dessert.  I also love the hats....

Cyclas (over tunic), barbette (under chin strap) & fillet ('pie crust' hat)Isabella of Hainault (Valenciennes,[1] 5 April 1170 – 15 March 1190, Paris) was queen consort of France as the first wife of King Philip II of France.

And more hats:
13th Century Toque over barbette over snood (or caul). Lid? Toque vs. fillet?Barbette & snood set, ruffled filletMedieval Snoods -


I have several bits of linen scraps that I can use to make some of these hats.  I'm not sure I agree with the shape of the "barbette", the layer under the hat and chin strap; I think it might have simply been a coif.  I'll have to make some pieces and see how it looks.

I also want to learn how to make netting for a snood, like the lady in the purple on the far right.  It reminds me of some of the hairnets that were in fashion off an on through the 1950s...but I need to make a barbette to go with it.  By the way, if you Google "Barbette" you come up with a drag queen from the 1920s.  Just...FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment