Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Costume Updates

Finished the second of four tunics for Tyrssen!  This one will be mailed shortly--I'm working on the yellow one and I'm nearly half-way done with it.  I may try to mail it with the red to save in postage on Monday.  Since he's going to Pennsic War and will be there for several days, he'll need more than a couple tunics for the duration.  I've never been to Pennsic, but I have been to a 10 day camping adventure for 30 Year in An Tir (since it was a mere 4 hour drive away), and earlier at Clinton War, and four outfits is a minimum.  So is bathing every couple of days. Ewww...

I entered a few things for Costumer's Guild last weekend and still haven't heard the results of that contest.  I'm hoping that they'll get back to us very soon.  I got an email that said that the scores were very close, so they wanted to consult with a couple of Laurels about it--maybe they wanted to move some "intermediate" folks into "advanced" categories.  I'm not sure which I would enter into--I think I'm intermediate, but the definition almost puts me into advanced due to the number of garments I've made.  Funny enough, I made so many of them *wrong* that it's difficult to say where I'd actually be.

My next phase of my Journeyman Challenge is to make a garment from another era that isn't Scandinavia or the Middle East, and not in the 14th century or late 16th century.  I have a pair of dresses that go together that look very much like those found in the 12th and 13th century Anglo Saxon garments--a long underdress and a shorter overdress.  Since I already have them made, I decided that I would do some embroidery on the overdress that was typical in that era of clothing. (Left:  Queen Ealhswith from 1220 AD).  I found someone else's documentation (like always, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants) that included several examples of Anglo-Saxon designs that she made into embroidery designs.  I penciled the design onto the yellow dress, then thought...wait a second...that's the underdress.  Damn.  Oh well, it's just penciled on.  I can wash it off.  BUT, now I have to do the green overdress.

There are a few other small things--I think I'm going to make another hood or maybe submit my 11th century Egyptian socks (although I already submitted a socks paper...so if I submit another paper...oi.)  I also have to put together the documentation for all the things I entered, which is going to take me a couple weeks to put together.

Actually, my to-do list is getting rather long...
E

1 comment:

  1. One of these days I'm hoping to get back to working on my Costumer's Guild challenges. It's probably been 8 years since I last worked on it!

    ReplyDelete