Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Weaving Snartemo


The An Tir weave was about half-finished earlier this week and I was determined to get it finished.  I didn't work on it at all over the weekend, so I spent a couple evenings this week finishing it up. I posted it on my FB page and got a request for the price.  I am willing to barter, of course, so price is negotiable. I don't know what John can offer in terms of trade--I know he has mad skillz with automobiles, but I have no need for these skills at the moment.  Perhaps he has other virtues that he has not yet revealed...

Here is the weave all finished up, ends twisted and tied, and wrapped neatly in a spool.  Like the others, it measures about four yards and is 15 mm wide.

Not to be without a weaving project for long, I laid up in bed overnight thinking of what I could do next.  WELL!  I came upon an idea.

For the next Costumer's Guild challenge, I would like to focus on something Norse.  Whether or not I focus on the Greenland finds or just general Norse--Scandinavian, for example--I haven't decided.  There are several patterns in the Greenland finds book I picked up that has lots of pieces in it, a variation of men's, women's and children's. I need three garments and three accessories, and I'm not entirely sure if there are pieces enough to outfit one guy--I know there are patterns for tunics, coats, hose, and hoods, but that still leaves me a couple garments short of a wardrobe.

However, I thought it would be great to create some documentable Norse trim.  I combed the internet and came across this site for Shelagh's weaving. In it, there are references to a few extant examples and the patterns for how to re-create them.  I chose the Snartemo II weave, which is unusual as it has skip-hole weaving techniques.  The skipped holes does not show up in this weave, but with the way it is threaded, the cards tend to turn in whatever way they want, so I employed a pencil drawn through the holes to keep them from shifting.  This pattern comes from two grave burials in the southern part of Norway in Hægebostad.  I guess there are several tablet weavings found there, so I'll have to look to see if I can find more.  This site has a few patterns and fun things to try next time.  There are also a number of patterns found in Birka that can be researched, but if I'm going to try to make 14th century Greenland, then 8th to 11th century trim won't work, will it?  I'll have to think on it some more.  I only set it up to weave about two yards rather than the whole four yards, just to see what it looks like.  I think I'll make an Apron dress and put this around the top or use it for the shoulder straps.  Or both.  I don't know how far those two yards will go...

When I finish this one, I may go ahead and find something to work on from the Birka finds.

1 comment: