Who Am I? And Why Am I Here?

Elewys of Finchingefeld, GdS, JdL
Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir

This is a place to which I may post my research, my experiments, my successes...and yes, my failures...for medieval re-creation and research on my never-ending quest to learn and revel in knowledge and experiences.

I am a lady of many times and many places. Currently using a 15th century English name, dressing in a 10th century Danish dress, and camping in a Mongolian round house. "Lost" doesn't even begin to describe my persona.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Back to Weaving

After getting back from 12th Night, I realized that it was 12 short days to Ursulmas, and if I wanted to get a piece of weaving or two done before the event, I better get on it!  I still have a few pieces from last year and a couple pieces that I've made during the year, as well as a piece that I was commissioned from me...but after 10 months of no payment, I'm going to check with her to see if I can go ahead and sell it.  I can make another one when she has the money again.  It's a fairly simple pattern and it looks really awesome...and I think the colors I had at the time were not quite the colors she wanted anyway.

It's been nice to get my fingers back into the threads, and I finally finished the Ithra weave that I started many months ago.  I estimated how long it took me to weave one repeat, how long each repeat was, and the finished length, and I concluded that it takes about 20 hours to weave 4 yards of card weaving.  I don't weave this nearly as tightly as others do--I don't beat as hard as someone like Master Fiacha--but I like the look and the suppleness of a slightly looser weave.

And having finished (mostly) the Journeyman level rank for Costumer's Guild, I started making plans for the Scholar level.  Looks like I need to make 3 garments, 3 accessories, do some teaching, writing, judging, and 3 more "entrant's choice".  I thought I'd make Kelly look amazing and do a couple of different tunic styles, a surcoat, pants, hood and hat.  The rest I'll have to figure out as I go along.  If I work really hard, I think I could get all the garments done by July Coronation...but that's going to be a lot of hand sewing seams and things.  The decorations will probably be the hardest part, like the decorative seam finishes.  Luckily, I can present a few pieces at a time; I don't have to do one "big reveal" like I was going to do with the Journeyman stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment