All I wanted for Christmas was a copy of Applesies and Fox Noses...and a bike helmet. Lucky me--I got both!
This is the new go-to book for tablet weaving historians this year (it's a bigger genre than you'd think!). Several of these patterns (not all) are based on historical finds from the Karelian iron age in a graveyard just a short drive north of Helsinki.
This book has some seriously complex patterns in it, but the first few look simple enough, so I started there. The first pattern wasn't quite so inspiring, so I turned a couple more pages and decided on pattern #5, the S Sign.
1. With A-D at the top of the pack, (my cards are colored blue on that side), turn all the cards back for five quarter-turns (toward the weaver).
2. Split deck: cards 1-6: turn four quarter-turns back; cards 7-12: turn four quarter-turns forward.
3. Turn all cards five quarter-turns forward
4. Turn all cards five quarter-turns back
5. Split deck: cards 1-6: turn four quarter-turns forward; cards 7-12: turn four quarter-turns back
6. Turn all cards five quarter-turns forward
*All cards have to face right, and there may be some adjustments in the future since I threaded it backwards to begin with...